Sessions will combine professional leadership training focusing on strategic and critical thinking, political strategies, effective communication, change management, and emotional intelligence with skilling building, field visits, policy exploration, and candid conversations with regional leaders and executives.
- Essentials of Leadership. Subject experts lead interactive sessions in strategic thinking, leadership philosophy and styles, political strategy, change management, and ethics.
- Understanding Regions. Participants will gain a deeper understanding of regional issues, the legislative process, and policy development. We will discuss how to collaborate and communicate with a wide variety of regional stakeholders and entities. The diverse class roster allows participants to learn about issues, practices and policies from regional entities across the state.
- Skill Workshops. Each year, we included some technical skill sessions that address effective communication, facilitation, messaging, public engagement, conflict management, writing, working with data, and a number of other skills.
- Personal Effectiveness. Participants will spend time identifying their leadership styles, learning how to leverage their strengths and exploring professional adaptation and resilience.
- Regional Executive Speaker Series. Accomplished regional executives will join our sessions for frank “unplugged” conversations. Participants will have an opportunity to explore the executive’s career journey and discuss key issues and factors about their views on regional leadership and the role of regional government.
- Leadership Circles. These small mentoring pods, facilitated by CARL alumni, allow CARL participants to have deeper conversations about the challenges they are facing and share knowledge with each other throughout the program.
- Group Project. Each year we select a project that highlights current regional government issues or trends. Working in small groups, the project challenges participants to think outside of the box.
- Social Activities. Participants tell us that the relationships they develop during the programs are one of the most valuable aspects of the CARL experience. We foster relationship-building by planning fun, interactive activities that allow participants to get to know each other.