We just hosted our first webinar (below). In the coming weeks, we expect to have multiple webinars. For now, we will list the information related to each one on this page.
Facilitating Effective Virtual Meetings
Date: April 16, 2020.
Instructor: Sarah Rubin, Engagement Coordinator, California Department of Conservation
Overview. Meetings are an essential part of how regional agencies collaborate. At their best, meetings afford the opportunity to share information to advance a project or idea. Yet we have all attended meetings that missed their mark or take up too much time with non-relevant information. And now we are doing it virtually–where many of the visual clues and established conventions that help us communicate are difficult to apply. (How can you tell you are losing your audience when they are in a little square on your computer?). This session addressed: How to plan ahead for an effective meeting; Logistical considerations; Successful meeting facilitation tips; Outreach and engagement; Developing an agenda; and Special considerations for online meetings.
Webinar Link | Slide Deck (prepared by Sarah Rubin)
Transparency During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Virtual Meetings and the Brown Act
Date: May 6, 2020.
Instructor: Michael Maurer, Attorney, Best Best & Krieger LLP
Overview. This webinar answers questions from CALCOG’s Facilitating Effective Virtual Meetings (link), on legal requirements for public meetings. We will focus on how public agencies can continue to comply with the Brown Act while safer-at-home orders are in place. Attorney Michael Maurer of Best Best & Krieger LLP, a CALCOG partner, will provide the legal background, as well as tips for conducting virtual public meetings. The webinar will also discuss other operational considerations that come with providing essential public services while social distancing.
Webinar Link | Slide Deck (prepared by Best, Best & Krieger LLP)
Virtual Meeting Resources
- Video Teleconference Security Tips (California Dept of Technology, Office of Information Security; April 2020)
- California Open Meeting Requirements Under COVID-19 (Best, Best & Krieger)
- COVID-19 Legal Updates: The Latest on the Novel Coronavirus’ Impact on Businesses and Public Agencies (Best, Best & Krieger)
- Virtual Meeting Tip Sheet (CALCOG, prepared for the webinar); Includes the following links:
1. The Future of Work: The Need for Virtual Skills
2. 8 Tips for More Effective Virtual Meetings
3. How to Run a Great Virtual Meeting
4. 12 Tips for Making Your Virtual Meetings More Professional
5. Webcam Glam: 3 Easy Tricks to Look Polished on Video Chats
6. How to Manage Newly-Remote Teams